With the rise of influencers across social media, plastic surgery has become more common and accepted, and is more accessible to everyday people than ever. What was once a taboo topic has become a part of mainstream culture.
Even still, many people are hesitant to go under the knife to change their appearance. Whether it’s the cost, recovery, or risk that goes with any procedure, there are plenty of reasons to seek alternatives to improve your look. Here are the best non-surgical cosmetic procedures that make a big impact without the associated risks.
One of the most common areas people are unhappy with is their nose. Whether it’s uneven nostrils, bumps, or wideness, there are many reasons patients come to a plastic surgeon looking to change their nose. While traditional rhinoplasty remains one of the most popular cosmetic procedures, it’s not without its downsides.
Not only is the procedure costly and painful, but the downtime and swelling make it difficult to hide during recovery. Unlike most cosmetic procedures where you can see the final results in months, for most patients, it can take a year or longer to see final results, often leading to frustration, especially if revisions are required.
If you want to change the look of your nose but don’t want to deal with surgery, non-surgical rhinoplasty–or liquid rhinoplasty–may be just what the doctor ordered. Liquid rhinoplasty uses dermal fillers to alter the shape of your nose.
Some benefits of liquid rhinoplasty are:
- Fast Results: full results can be seen within one to two weeks of the procedure.
- Time: the procedure usually takes between 20 minutes to an hour.
- Cost: you can expect to pay between $600 and $1,500, depending on location and your doctor.
- Recovery: It’s measured in days, not months. Some pain, bruising, and swelling may occur near the injection site for one to two days after the procedure.
While no results using dermal fillers are permanent, how long your results last depends on the type of filler used and how quickly your body can metabolize it. For most patients, you can expect results to last for around six months. Due to lack of downtime, this is usually not a problem for patients, but can become expensive and upkeep should be factored into the decision.
Though liquid rhinoplasty doesn’t involve the risks of traditional surgery, the nose is a very sensitive area, and extreme caution must be used when choosing a professional. In the hands of a skilled and licensed provider, the procedure is incredibly safe. However, serious risks that can be associated with an unskilled or unlicensed provider are:
- Vision loss
- Tissue death
- Vascular damage
Liquid rhinoplasty may not be right for you if you’re looking for permanent results or you are looking to make dramatic changes to the size of your nose.
Botox Brow Lift
When you think of a brow lift, images of celebrities chasing the fountain of youth who are left instead with a permanent surprised look may flash before your eyes. Sagging in the brow area can lead to a tired, more aged look, making brow lifts a popular procedure for anyone wanting to look refreshed. What do you do if you want a lifted brow but are too scared of results that leave you looking shocked?
Fortunately, Botox can be used to give you the same lifted look without the need to go under the knife or risk a permanent change in your expression. Some benefits of choosing a Botox brow lift over a surgical lift are:
- Results: Most patients will see some results within a week, while full results can take up to a month.
- Time: Depending on how many injections you need, your procedure can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes.
- Affordability: While the average cost of a surgical brow lift is $3,490 (excluding the cost of anesthesia and operating room facilities), Botox brow lifts range from $500-1000, depending on the provider, location, and how much is needed to create the desired results.
- Temporary: A surgical brow lift that delivers less than desired results can permanently alter your expression. Most Botox lifts will last around six months so if you’re unhappy with the results, you can easily wait for it to wear off.
Unlike the risks of a surgery, the most common side effects of a Botox brow lift are:
- Injection site bruising, soreness, or numbness
- Though rare, temporary eye drooping can occur
Most people are good candidates for this procedure and should expect to look more alert, well rested, and generally lifted once full results are seen.
Dermal Fillers for Aging and Scarring
While we touched on the use of dermal fillers to alter the shape of the nose, dermal fillers are most commonly used to reduce signs of aging, plump lips, and give skin a smoother appearance. Common issues dermal fillers can correct are:
- Under eye bags or a sunken under eye area
- Nasolabial folds (deep vertical lines from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth)
- Marionette lines (vertical lines that extend from the bottom of the mouth to the chin)
- Neck lines
- Scarring, especially pitted acne scarring
- Thin lips
Dermal fillers give a provider great control over the look of a patient, with the ability to inject it almost anywhere for precise results. Since fillers are temporary and result in little downtime, patients often feel free to experiment to see how using it in certain areas can enhance their appearance in a way surgery doesn’t allow.
Though filler can be used to correct many issues, one of the greatest successes is for patients who have had their confidence ruined for years due to acne scarring. Pitted acne scarring is traditionally difficult to treat, and current treatments available such as deep chemical peels often come with lots of downtime and risks.
Many treatment options are also not suitable for all skin tones, leaving some patients without options. Dermal fillers are a safe treatment option for most patients, providing fast and effective results that can leave a patient with smoother looking skin and increased confidence.
Before considering dermal fillers, you should know:
- Patients are charged per syringe. The cost of a syringe varies by type of filler and location, but the average price of the most common fillers used is $652 per syringe.
- The number of syringes you will need depends on what area you’re treating and should be discussed during your consultation to determine if it’s something you can afford to maintain.
- The most commonly used fillers are hyaluronic acid fillers which provide natural looking results that last around six months.
While dermal fillers are safe for most people, as always it is crucial to choose a reputable and experienced provider to avoid negative side effects, which–though rare–could include lumps in the skin that need to be removed, and in extreme cases temporary or permanent vision loss.
No Matter What You Choose
Whether you choose a surgical or non-surgical option to change your look, the most important thing is to choose a provider you trust. Read reviews, ask for references, and when booking a consultation, ask as many questions as you have. Even though non-surgical options carry less risk than surgery, an experienced and licensed provider is key to safely getting the outcome you desire.
If you’re interested in boosting your confidence with non-surgical cosmetic procedures, Dr. Raja Mohan is here to help. With his experience and dedication to patient safety and natural looking results, you can rest easy knowing you’ll be in good hands. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Mohan today, give us a call at (469) 301-1725.