You see them all the time. The so-called “perfect” mommies who crowd your social media feeds, flaunting their fabulosity for all to see. It can be a source of both inspiration and irritation, especially as you wipe spit from your sleeve and look longingly at photos of your pre-baby body.
Not that you’d trade the joys of motherhood for anything — but it would be nice to go back to those days when you could rock your favorite pair of jeans and slip into those form-fitting dresses without worrying about how it looked. If you can’t quite part ways with your old wardrobe, you might consider undergoing a mommy makeover instead.
It’s plastic surgery at its finest and most effective. In short, a mommy makeover is designed to help surgically improve areas of your body that changed in the aftermath of giving birth. Of course, pregnancy has a way of changing your body in many ways, and it’s important to note that your results might not be exactly as you imagined. But can a mommy makeover set you on the path to where you want to be again? It’s a step in the right direction. Here’s what you should know.
The Reality of a Mommy Makeover
It’s important to be realistic. Your plastic surgeon would love to wave a magic wand and restore your body to its previous state. While they can’t do exactly that, they can do the next best thing and give you a mommy makeover. Note, however, that this doesn’t mean your body will revert back to what it was before you were pregnant. As wonderful as that would be, it’s not the reality of having any type of surgery.
Moreover, you don’t want to do anything too drastic in your efforts to reclaim your previous figure. Remember that pregnancy and childbirth alone are enormously stressful on the body. What you do in the aftermath has a great deal to do with how well you recover and bounce back in general. This means waiting a significant amount of time before going under the knife after you’ve had a baby. At a bare minimum, a qualified plastic surgeon will likely advise you to wait at least six months to a year, depending on your condition.
What to Expect During Your Procedure
There’s no blanket rule that states all mommy makeover procedures must follow certain guidelines. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. The majority of surgical interventions are designed with your specific needs in mind — which means they’re tailored to your body from top to bottom. You may only need one procedure, for example, to achieve that dream pre-baby body. Another woman, however, might require two or three. Everyone’s needs are different.
So what to expect depends entirely on what you choose to undergo. Here are some ideas about what you can expect as you navigate your surgical options:
- Breast Lift: Breast lifts are common after childbirth because they can significantly improve the appearance of drooping and sagging breasts. The skin naturally stretches out as it produces and holds milk, and once you’re done breastfeeding you might notice that it simply falls south instead of going back to where it once was. Your surgeon may elect to augment your breasts by lending them a fuller appearance in addition to lifting them. This might be the case if your breasts don’t look as voluminous or shapely as they did before you gave birth.
- Tummy Tuck: Tummy tucks may be necessary for those mothers who have sagging bellies. If you’re concerned in particular about your midsection, your surgeon will create an incision at the bikini line and pull the skin downward, creating a smoother and more seamless look that essentially eliminates your belly. If it’s necessary, your belly button may be repositioned to ensure the end result looks completely natural.
- Liposuction: Another common procedure is liposuction, which involves strategically removing fat from the body via a suction tube. This procedure is generally not very invasive, and can be effective on love handles and sagging bellies. It can also be performed on the thighs. In some cases, your surgeon may use liposuction to help you achieve the look you want in combination with a tummy tuck. This will help smooth out the skin while reducing fat that might otherwise contribute to future concerns.
- Labiaplasty: A labiaplasty can be enormously helpful if your labia was stretched too much during childbirth. This is a normal concern that can cause the labia minora flaps to protrude too far, making it uncomfortable to wear certain types of clothes and have intercourse. During the procedure, your plastic surgeon will simply remove the excess skin and close the area to create a smooth and sleek finish.
Determining If You Are a Candidate
It’s important to note that not every mother in the world is a prime candidate for makeover surgery. There are several factors that your surgeon will take into account beforehand. Among the most important are:
- Your Health: All surgical procedures carry with them certain risks of side effects. You’re less likely to experience those types of problems if you in good health overall. Your doctor may advise you to stop smoking in the weeks leading up to your procedure, and you might be asked to stop drinking as well. Sometimes women develop type 2 diabetes during pregnancy, which could increase your risk of developing a problem. This is why it’s critical to undergo a thorough evaluation and physical before your surgery, and to rule out any potential problems that might occur as a result of your health.
- Your Weight: Bear in mind that undergoing a mommy makeover procedure may help you reverse a few years, but it’s not a weight loss tool. Before you visit your surgeon, make sure that you’ve lost whatever baby weight you can. This will make it easier for your provider to pull your skin taut and create the sleek and defined figure that you’re hoping to achieve.
- Your Future: What are your childbearing plans for the future? You should only undergo a mommy makeover procedure if you’re sure that you don’t want any more children. Otherwise, any future pregnancies risk undoing the excellent results you received during your initial procedure. Why go under the knife more often than necessary? Once you’ve had your children, you can feel confident that your surgeon can help you achieve the look of your dreams.
If you’re ready to reclaim that pre-baby body with a mommy makeover, don’t hesitate. Contact Dallas plastic surgeon Dr. Raja Mohan at (469) 301-1725 to schedule a consultation and get started on your road to a new you.